International Day of the Girl - giving girls' voices a platform to tell their stories
Celebrate International Day of the Girl with A Girl For All Time
International Day of the Girl is this Sunday (11th) and we can’t wait to celebrate it. Originating from the Fourth World Conference on Women, this day highlights the gender equality struggles faced by girls around the world.
The theme for this year’s campaign launched by UNICEF is ‘My Voice, Our Equal Future’. It focuses on empowering the voices of young girls, providing a platform for them to tell their own stories. Check out Fatoumata and Ide’s stories which highlight the importance of education for all girls. Something we love at A Girl For All Time.
Pink is the official color of UNICEF's International Day of the Girl - so why not hold a pink party to celebrate International Day of the Girl? Wear your favourite pink clothing or try making these easy DIY party streamers. Hang up banners with ‘Day of the Girl’, ‘My Voice’ or ‘Girl Takeover’.
You can even get baking with these super easy strawberry bottom cupcakes.
- 125g butter (softened)
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 125g self-raising flour
- 12 large strawberries
- Heat oven to 180 C or 356 F.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and stir together.
- Stir in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Gently fold in the flour.
- Cut the stems off the strawberries and place each strawberry at the bottom of each cupcake case.
- Fill the cupcake case ¾ full on top of the strawberries.
- Bake in the oven 12 minutes or until golden on top.
- Top with strawberry buttercream icing- check out this easy recipe.
For more information about International Day of the Girl, the struggles adolescent girls face worldwide and what you can do for help check out UNICEF’s website or these five things you can do to celebrate.