Amelia’s favourite Vanilla Cakes
Aunt Cora’s cook, Mrs. Dove, was a bit of a tyrant, but she baked delicious cakes for tea in the parlour every afternoon. One of Amelia’s favourites was her vanilla sponge – made into pretty little iced fancies. Amelia used to hide a few in her pinafore to share with Effie and her pet bird, Miss Lovington.
Preheat your overn to 170c.
1. Mix with an electric mixer: 120g of flour, 140g of caster sugar, 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder, a pinch of salt and 40g of unsalted butter so it looks almost like sand.
2. Now whisk together an egg, 120 ml of milk, and some vanilla extract in a little bowl or cup.
3. Pour this liquid mixture into your flour mixture, and beat together.
4. Spoon this into pretty paper cups and bake about 20-25 minutes. Now you can make the frosting...
5. Take 250g of icing sugar, 80g of salt, 25m of milk and a few drops of vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
Try all sorts of Victorian colours - blue, lilac, yellow, even pale green.
Once your cakes have cooled, decorate and enjoy with your friends.
We decorated ours with marzipan butterflies, like in Amelia’s dream… You can find a simple marzipan recipe on Matilda's Secret Recipes page.